Monday, November 5, 2012

251.6: Recovery!

I had my gallbladder removed Friday. It was scheduled for Election Day, but I called on Thursday to check how the waiting list worked and they decided to move me earlier. It was a relief because I've been stressed and sick and ready to put this behind me.

I couldn't sleep. After a couple of hours of tossing and turning, I finally just got up. I worked on a few projects at home, then ran some errands to the library and Walmart. Yup, I was one of those 3:00 a.m. Walmart customers.

So, Anita picked me up at 5:25 a.m. and they wheeled me up at about 7:15. I had a moment waiting outside the o.r. where I just felt so alone. Abandoned. All the medical professionals were scurrying about to begin their shift and I was just a piece of furniture. It freaked me out that I was emotional because I've had so many knee scopes over the last decade that outpatient surgery is not a big deal to me. Then I realized this was the first surgery in a decade (or more) that wasn't being done by my amazing ortho doc (turns out he doesn't do gallbladders).

Once the anaesthesiologist gave me the sleepy drugs, I had about four minutes of consciousness to be wheeled in, move to the surgical table, and make small talk. I woke up in recovery with a pain in my gut and some nausea, but feeling pretty pleased. I was so relieved the surgery had gone well and I didn't end up being opened up. At around 10:15 I was wheeled to the post-surgery room and texted my friend Cathi that she could come get me whenever. She works not too far from the hospital. We left around 11:30 and I was home by noon. Lovely to be home!

I thought I'd sleep, but I was wired. Dang! My outside stomach was sore, but I kept ice on it which helped tons. My inside stomach wasn't doing anything. I was nervous to eat anything because I'd read that many people suffer a ton right after the surgery, but I wanted to take a pain pill and knew I had to eat something. Plus I was hungry! I very cautiously nibbled on some of my Medifast Bites (seemed like the closest thing to a cracker) and took a pain pill. The food stayed down. Yay! I also had a tiny bit of broth. By about 8 p.m. I was craving food and sleep. Why couldn't I sleep? Arghh! My incisions felt okay--a bit swollen, but not too much pain. I texted Anita and Cathi and they came through for me again with turkey and mashed potatoes (Cathi) and a Wendy's potato (Anita). I cautiously tasted a very small bit of each and felt okay. Loene came to Bonnie-sit around 9:30. I decided to try to lay down in bed and see if I could sleep. Wasn't sure how comfortable I could be with the incisions and I was pleasantly surprised to find some comfortable sleeping angles. I wouldn't say it was the most stellar night of sleep, but I was refreshed the next morning.

Saturday was more cautious eating and a couple of trips in Loene's car. The bumps in the road were uncomfortable, but I felt okay. Mostly I just felt tired. And desperate--my inside plumbing needed a jump start. Luckily, all that was resolved. I was able to manage the pain with Tylenol. I love it when I don't need the heavy duty stuff!

Sunday was more of the same--eating, drinking, napping, visiting with family and friends. I am soooo tired. Anesthesia side effects, I'm sure.

Today I continue to feel great. My incision site pain feels more like sore muscles. Every once in a while I get a stitch in my side, but nothing I can't handle. I have a small " list which I'm going to work at a bit at a time to test my strength.

I feel blessed. Very blessed.


  1. Sending you a very big, and very gentle, hug. I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

  2. Bonnie, I'm so happy to hear your surgery went well and your recovery seems to be going as well as possible, too. Wish I could be closer to keep you post-surgery company and to drive you around or make you some food, etc. Sending lots of love and prayers and hopes for a continued speedy and low-pain recovery. Love to you, Bonnie! :)